5353 Josie Ave
Lakewood, CA 90713
I am a system administrator/software engineer, with a wide range of
experience in both the administration and programming field. On the SA
side, I have 8 years of UNIX system administration,and am a Sun Certified
Solaris 8 network admin.
I take setting up internet/intranet servers a lot more seriously than "lets put up
a web server". I believe in methodical configuration and deployment of
systems across the board, since today's experimental server may suddenly
become tomorrow's critical server.
In addition to admin experience, I have done a lot of programming, which
helps me interface with developers better.
Some of my programming projects have been
solaris device drivers,
which gives me a better insight into the Solaris internals. My knowlege
of Solaris is also represented by my Solaris certifications: I have passed
all of the three Solaris exam levels Sun currently offers.
For a sample of my C programming, you can look at my free
There have been over 30,000 downloads, and the program is also
distributed on the "debian linux" CD-ROM.
I also have Java programming experience.
I also have strong shellscripting experience, and can mentor others; a search
for "ksh tutorial" (with quotes) brings up my website as the #1 link.
Thank you for your interest.
Summary of skills
PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES AND PLATFORMS
C, C++, java, SQL, Sybase, Oracle,LISP, lex,
yacc, awk, csh, sh & ksh scripts,
Xaw, Motif, MS-windows GUI programming
PROTOCOLS AND SERVICES
HTTP, SMTP, NFS, DNS, NIS+, RAID, DHCP, JumpStart,
SOURCE CODE CONTROL
SCCS, RCS, CVS, Sun Workshop
OPERATING SYSTEMS USED
Solaris, SunOS, MS Windows NT, OS9, MacOS, MS-DOS, MS Windows, RS-DOS,
Checkpoint FW-1, SunScreen, IP-filter, General security
CERTIFICATES & DEGREES
B.A. in CIS (Computer Science): UC Santa Cruz
Solaris Administrator Level I
Solaris Administrator Level II
Sun Certified Solaris 8 Network Administrator
Teaching junior team members
Co-chair of the
UNIX Association of Southern California, LA
OTHER COMPUTER SKILLS
NIS+, NFS, Jumpstart, DNS, HTML, NTP, SKIP (security/encryption), Cisco,
Ascend, Sun Net Manager (SNMP management)
French (8 years, elementary through high school, passed AP exam)
Japanese (passed first year UC Berkeley extension course)
University of Southern California (January 2004 - present)
- Solaris System Administrator/Architect
Varied high level technical responsabilities
- Internal technical "consultant" on various projects
- Designed failover mechanisms for various campus
- Converted production Solaris deployment methods to use jumpstart
Washington Mutual (2002 - 2004)
Solaris System Administrator
- Oversee deployment and maintenance of business-critical Solaris systems, including Oracle database platforms responsible for the core loan business.
- Configured key systems for high availability using Veritas Cluster.
- Integrated monitoring with HP Openview
- Participated in change management, with Remedy
MySmart.com (May 2001 - Oct 2001)
Contractor (UNIX/Solaris System Administrator)
A wide range of responsability, including:
- Managing the production web servers(apache+jrun)
- Supporting internal java developers (SAMBA, CVS, SCCS, misc. issues)
- Configuring Cisco routers & RADIUS software
- Sysadmin and minor DBA support for Oracle servers
Collective Technology (May 2000 - March 2001)
Consultant [Full time W2 employee of Collective Technology, a
[Varied responsibilities, including day to day administration. The
highlights are extracted here]
[unnamed startup company]
- Installed and configured Veritas Cluster Server on Solaris, with
Veritas Volume Manager, and Oracle Enterprise Agent.
- Installed apache, with "Raven" SSL module, Jrun module, and
multiple virtual hosts.
- Drove initiative to move from plaintext to ssh-encrypted
- Installed firewalls and filtering for critical systems.
- Proposed and provided tools for dev. team migration from
"Source Safe" to CVS.
Boeing Satellite Systems
- Installed Veritas Cluster Server, with Oracle agent.
- Integrated HA system with SAP, working with SAP consultant.
- Rewrote customized SCCS front end (turned 4000+ lines of C code
into 800 lines of ksh scripts).
- Installed XNTPD for NTP time synchronization.
- Set up dual-node NFS&Oracle HA cluster with fiber-attached RAID
Merisel Corp (July 1998 - April 2000)
Solaris System Administrator
Primary responsability to keep the warehouse application and database
servers running. (Solaris, ultra 1s through E3000s). These are
"mission-critical servers". For every 10 minutes
the system was down, was money that the company lost. All filesystems
and database partitions mirrored.
Pagers required at all times.
I spearheaded getting general and historical systems knowledge onto
an internal WWW server, as well as maintaining my department's own DNS
subdomain and sendmail-based mail server. IMAP was used to retrieve
Additionally, my broad knowledge base was utilized to put together
an enterprise-wide systems monitor.
This covered a wide variety of systems,from database,
ftp, email, to SAP monitoring. I wrote a custom java front end,
integrated with background multi-process ksh and sql monitoring scripts.
I was also effectively put in charge of the company firewall.
Aegis Star Corp(July, 1994 - June 1998)
System administration and programming (strong in both)
Primarily Solaris flavor of unix, with initial SunOS deployment.
I was responsible for all UNIX functionality, both on the
development, and production networks (24x7 uptime required)
Summary of experience:
- Set up all Sun Solaris boxes. Both install hardware, and
configure/upgrade OS + any requested software.
- Set up email between multiple facilities/domains, and multiple
Used SMTP, sendmail, and POP3. Adding multiple domain
support properly required detailed knowledge of sendmail
- Deployed NFS environment for applications distribution,
software development, and "auto_home". This also involved
setting up automated backups for the critical systems, and
configuring "cachefs" for performance gains on the client side.
- USENET news (INN server) -
I installed and configured the news server for both external
newsgroups, and internal discussion groups
- Set up Internal web server. Initially, just a quick way of sharing
key static files. Later, I added some CGI scripts to
collect hourly machine status reports. Some forms processing
was also done.
- Internet connectivity -
Design and set up of firewall systems, from scratch.
- DNS service. Set up both internal and external servers, from
- General networking -
LAN: set up hubs, and subnet routers.
WAN: set up inter-office T1, and internet T1/ISDN connectivity.
Developed significant parts of custom internal software.
Development included work with MIME(rfc1521),
and tcp/ip communications. Also wrote programs designed to
copy and archive all incoming email. This required integration
with sendmail, and a separate database. (ndbm-format).
Miscellaneous shellscripting was also necessary, for a wide
variety of functions.
I was also occasionally subcontracted to a large client,
(Fortune 1000 company) to help them with their email systems.
The source for kdrill, along with screenshots, is available from
- Kanjidrill -- Xaw-based program for testing the user on kanji <-> English
- Jdrill -- Java version of Kanjidrill
- jcrossclient -- Java client for graphical MUD, "crossfire"
- [Miscellaneous Solaris device drivers]
jcrossclient is available at
I have also written various programming tutorials: